Killer of NSW Police inspector Bryson Anderson pleads guilty to murder

admin | 杭州桑拿
4 Dec 2018

A Sydney man has pleaded guilty on what was to be the first day of his Supreme Court trial to murdering decorated NSW police officer Bryson Anderson.

The man’s mother has pleaded guilty to manslaughter over the crime, and this has been accepted by prosecutors.

Mitchell Barbieri, 21, and his mother, Fiona Barbieri, 47 admitted to their crimes on Wednesday in a courtroom packed with the officer’s family and his former police mates

Mitchell Barbieri now faces life in jail, as a life sentence is mandatory in cases where a police officer is murdered in the course of his or her duty.

Barbieri cried and hugged his mother before standing to enter his guilty plea.

Both mother and son had originally been charged with murder over the crime.

But the court heard on Wednesday, that the Crown accepted the plea of manslaughter for Ms Barbieri on the grounds that she had been suffering “a substantial impairment brought about by an abnormality of mind”.

Inspector Anderson was murdered on December 6, 2012, at the Barbieri’s Oakville home after police received an urgent call from neighbours to attend the property.

Officers allegedly found the Barbieris barricaded inside their brick bungalow and firing arrows at officers.

It is alleged that, when Inspector Anderson went to the back entrance of the house to negotiate with the pair, he was attacked with a knife by Mr Barbieri, while his mother swung a block hammer at other officers who tried to intervene.

The pair will return to court for sentencing next week.

Mitchell Barbieri cried and hugged his mother before standing to enter his guilty plea.

Speaking outside court, Inspector Anderson’s brother, Warwick Anderson, said his family were relieved that the guilty pleas had brought them “closer to the public resolution of this matter”.

“Privately there’s still a significant way to go of out family as we try to come to terms with the senseless tragic loss of Bryson,” Mr Anderson said.

He acknowledged the “strength and thoroughness” of the police investigation into the murder, the support of the public and those who served alongside Inspector Anderson on the day of his death.

“Our family is very mindful of the fact that there were a number of police who were with Bryson on that day, some of whom have not recovered from the events of that day and the injuries they suffered both physically and psychologically,” he said.

“The prayers of our family go out to them.”

Comments are closed.